Monday, June 15, 2009

Day one and what a dayJune 15,2009






Hello From Seoul

We managed our first night wonderfully. We shared a room with the ever accomodating Lisa and Liam. We stayed in a dorm type room at a Christian conference/school Building. The room was traditional in all ways. One room, many thin matresses and pillows and blankets. We were all so tired I do not think it would matter where we slept.

Our friend Angela contacted us and made the one hour trip to meet us. So after quickly dropping off our suitcases we walked to a traditional restaurant for dinner. I will post a picture eventually. Once again my computer is acting up. I spent probably 6 hours organizing my pictures on it during our flight that perhaps I messed things up. Can't seem to find the recycle bin to clean things out. Back to the restaurant. It was so cool, shoes off and sit on a mat at a low table. This can pose a bit of a problem if you are wearing a short skirt trying to sit cross legged. Angela joined us for dinner. Unlike China, the food here is going down way too quickly, often and in massive amounts.

After arriving at the room we quickly dropped off our suitcases and head out for dinner. Everything is being looked after, we do not have to worry about a thing. The Korean's are truly very consciencious, kind, accomodating and honest. Yes sometime a bit more honest/direct than I can be. I can just pass it off as cultural as well (Dutch? :)

Leevi is being a trooper. He did not not sleep on the flight to Vancouver. He was so tired at take off from Vancouver that he fell asleep and missed it. He slept for 1.5 hours and up and at the DS, and tv. He did that for 8 hours and then fell asleep 1.5 hours before we landed and missed the landing in Korea. I took a picture of the landscape so he could see it. It took a bit to wake him up because he is way past the size of pick him up and carry him. SO we diembarked last with a very sleep drunk boy staggering off the plane. He is eating lots and being very adventuresome.

Lots to tell you about the DMZ and other events of the day but I am tyoing on a computer at my home stay and it is in another gals room so I will sign off and get to it again tomorrow. There has to be someone here in Korea who can help me with my computer woes.

To sum things up we are having a FABULOUS time and have so many things I want to blog about. Off tomorrow to meet his foster mom. He does not seem concerned about the meeting. Perhaps because there are others doing the same thing.

Better run and blog ya tomorrow.

Janet and a very tired Leevi.

P.S. Just have to say he has always been a boy who will not admit he is tired and it has been no exception here. We were sitting at the opening ceremony today and he had his head down on the table during speeches and I saw his body do a twitch. Moments later we were all summonned up for a group shot. Kids in the fornt so he scored a chair even though he was not tired. I stood behind him for the shot and his head was bobbing away during the photo op but would snap himself out of it and say I'm not tired. It was so funny I can't wait to see the picture.

See Ya
J

4 comments:

  1. Dear Leevi and his mom,

    Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound in Korea! We miss you in our class. You are full of joy and kindness. We hope you have a great time there. We are praying for you.
    Tell us about the food that you are eating. Sounds good!
    From
    The Grade 3 and 4's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys!
    Just read your post to Darryn over the phone. He was chuckling at the comments about Leevi's head bobbing. Sounds like you are tired but having fun. Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mom and Leevi,
    I hope you are having a good time.
    Love Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - Is Willem not helping you with the computer problems?;) That was the deal - you help be pseudo-mom and he fixes that kind of stuff - he has to do it for me all the time so it should feel normal to him!;
    Hope Leevi's clock adapts to the opposing time change soon! I can realte to the "never being tired". Can't wait to see the head bobbing pic!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Followers